Cloud Coach is an online mentoring program designed to motivate students to think forward about their futures and act now to achieve their goals. BestPrep pairs each ninth-grade student in a given Minneapolis or St Paul Public School with a volunteer mentor from a local company. Over the course of the eight-week program, mentors and students discuss hobbies and interests, goal-setting, personal branding, and future career options through weekly online conversations. Halfway through the program, students and mentors meet in-person at the company’s office for a one-time event called the Cloud Summit.
Cloud Coach allows students to create a relationship with a business professional, explore education and career paths, develop soft skills, gain motivation for achieving their goals, and discuss the importance of building character. As BestPrep’s newest program, Cloud Coach’s mission is to serve all 4,000+ ninth-graders in Minneapolis and St. Paul Public Schools.
Volunteer as a mentor to make an impact on Twin Cities students!
We are currently seeking companies with the capacity to provide mentors for large groups of students. BestPrep will provide additional information, resources, and conversation prompts along the way. Contact us if you’re interested in getting Cloud Coach started at your company.
Cloud Coach currently partners with the following companies:
- Allianz Life
- Boston Scientific
- General Mills
- Securian Financial
- Thomson Reuters
- U.S. Bank
Partnering with Cloud Coach is a great way to mobilize hundreds of volunteers for one cause, with one common goal – impacting students in your backyard. Cloud Coach produces a high impact on students but a low time commitment on volunteers. Since this program is primarily online, mentors can volunteer their time directly from their desks at work.
- 97% of students agreed that their Cloud Coach mentor treated them like they were important and valued.
- 85% of students agreed that the Cloud Coach program helped them understand that their actions today will impact their future.
- 87% of students agreed that as a result of the Cloud Coach program, they are thinking more about their plans after high school (such as their education or career).
To get students excited about the program, BestPrep hosts a Cloud Coach assembly kick-off at the start of a presentation for all 9th graders. Students come to the auditorium as a group and listen to a volunteer keynote speaker who helps kick off their Cloud Coach experience. BestPrep is looking for speakers to kick-off each Cloud Coach connection. Speakers volunteer 1-4 times a year.
Our goals for this 45-minute presentation include:
- Getting students excited about the program
- Helping students understand what a mentor is and why mentors are valuable at any stage of your life
- Helping students understand the concept of their own personal brand and how they present themselves
- Explaining that when students email their mentors, they come into the conversation with a blank slate and can present themselves in the best light with a caring mentor who has no judgments about them.
We’re looking for energetic and dynamic motivational speakers to volunteer their time to help us kick off Cloud Coach! If you’re interested in being a Cloud Coach speaker, contact us.
“As a Company Coordinator and mentor myself, the Cloud Coach program enriches the lives of both the student and the mentor. As the weeks progress, you can see the relationships start to flourish and the conversations become authentic and genuine. [This program is] building confidence in the student, as well as providing the mentor an opportunity to give back to their community.”
~ Tamra Nicholas-Nelson, Volunteer at Securian Financial
2022 Impact Numbers
The Cloud Coach program makes an impact annually on the students in the program.